03 January 2009

Thing 18 - Online Documents

Hey, I remembered a Thing's number. Yeah!

More than just web pages can be created for the Net now. You can create documents online and not have to worry about saving it to a disc or flash drive. You can save them online. Google Docs and Open Office are probably the biggest two providers of this type of service. Since you're saving documents to on online server, you don't have to worry about carrying around discs or drives or going back to the same computer every time you need to work on a document.

Open Office seems to have more features, like drawing, but you have to download the software on every computer you use. So that could be a bit inconvenient. The type of program I use most is Publisher, and Google Docs doesn't really have anything close to it, yet. They're mostly for Word and Excel type documents. Reports and spreadsheets -- they make the business world go round.

My computer still has the Corel Office Suite on it (yes, it's old. I am aware), so I have been using .rtf a lot. I'm always asking what type of file it is that is being sent and always asking them to convert it to .rtf. It's rather annoying. But with online documents, I don't have to worry about such things. I can create, print and/or share my documents without having to worry about whether or not my computer can read it. As long as it can open up the Internet, it can open up the documents. So whenever Google Docs comes up with a Publisher-like program, I'm so there.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Absolute fan of Google docs. You can share documents with others and update and share comments all in one spot. A great way to write an article with others.