17 January 2009

Almost There

We're at Thing #22. Downloadable media.

Our library uses two different vendors. Overdrive Media and NetLibrary. I really like Overdrive. I think its easy to use. I've never had a problem downloading stuff from Overdrive. I borrowed one of the library's MP3 players and listened to Terry Prachett's WinterSmith during workouts. I must say it is easier to listen to book while running than it is to read a book while running. Sadly enough, I have tried. (Treadmills can get boring, especially if you're by yourself.)

I don't think NetLibrary is as user friendly. At least it isn't with the ebooks. It may just be our setup that's confusing, but when you have to access it differently from outside the library then from inside the library, its not a good start. I know they've been making changes, so I should probably try them out again. And look, they have Le Guin's Powers available. Guess I'll have to check out an MP3 player again.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

I too like Overdrive more than NetLibrary. The only down side to Overdrive is that even while you can download to ITunes and listen to (some) books on your IPod, it has to be downloaded to Itunes on a PC, it still doesn't work with a Mac. Maybe they have solved that problem, but the last time I tried I was unsuccessful. I should try again.

Unknown said...

Kirsten: They do now have Mac-compatible software. http://overdrive.com/software/omc/ (click on Mac, then Download)

I use Overdrive more, because they've made it easier and more fun to browse. NetLibrary is just a bit cumbersome with their logins. However, sometime soon they'll be changing that.