09 November 2010

Book Suggestions

As part of my work duties, I get to review the titles that our patrons request that we buy. I really enjoy this part of my work because it means I get read reviews and buy books. A lot of what gets suggested are the blockbuster bestseller authors whose next book won't be out for three months, but they have to have it now anyway. Those request I just toss because our vendor sends those to us automatically. No request needed.

There's been a lot of requests for out of print romance titles, in large print. I've been getting the same three or four titles over and over again, all by the same author. I may have inadvertently encouraged this person to submit titles by actually buying one of his/her requests. Sometimes I wish I could contact patrons like this to tell them to "Give it up!" Their beloved romance author is no longer writing and no one wants to print their books anymore. Its time to start hunting the used book stores and Amazon because the library is never going to get it.

Of course, if I ever did run into the person requesting these titles, I'd never have to courage to tell them that.

No comments: