12 June 2009

On Not Running

So I let myself be talked into joining a 1/2 marathon training program. I thought it'd be a good way to keep myself motivated in going to the gym and exercising. And it's always nice to have people to exercise with.

We're only a couple of weeks into the program, and the training has gone something like this: run 20 minutes one day, 15 the next, rest, run 20 minutes again; run 1 mile on Saturday. Which I can do. I'd been running 30-35 minutes 3 days a week before I joined. And then I got sick.

I wasn't very sick. It was just a little cold. But I didn't do anything I absolutely had to do. The last couple of times I caught a little cold I ignored it and ended up being sick for 6 weeks or so with all sort of infections. I wasn't going to go through that again. Last week was full of cough drops, lemon and honey, and lounging in bed. I only ran once. This week, the running is killing me. I didn't even make it through the 20 minutes on Monday. I had to stop and walk. It was so sad and pathetic. What a difference a week makes, eh?

No comments: