12 October 2011

Everybody Loves Her

The Japanese are all about the group. If you're not part of their group, it's possible that they will ignore you. They don't mean to be rude or callous, its just that they don't know how to deal with your foreignness -- unless you're a four month old baby.

Every time we go out, there's at least one person who stops us to chat at Emma, and many more who openly stare. They make clicking noises and call her "Kawaii" (cute). Mostly its the older woman/grandmother type who do this, but tween girls are also likely culprits. One time it was a middle-aged business man. The only age group I've not had any reaction from is the teenage boy.

Last night another grandmother type cornered me in the grocery store while I was looking for a bento for dinner. Is this a common occurrence for people with infants in the States too? Have I not noticed this before because I haven't had an infant before?

But, because I agree that Emma is kawaii, here is some video:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a doll! She definitely is a cutie. And yes, that's totally common in the States too. I was especially a target when I was nannying 4 kids. People at the park would always ask, "Are these ALL yours? OMG!" followed by an "Oh what a darling! She's so cute! Googegoogeegooge!"

Bleak Refrain said...

Oh my gosh she's so PRECIOUS!!! And yes - you get acosted by old women in the States, too - my sister's baby is always a topic for conversation when they go out of doors. Little Emma doesn't look like she's going to be little for long! She's so big already! Congratulations to Supermom and Epicdad!

Anonymous said...

She's so BEAUTIFUL, just like her mommy!!!! =D