13 July 2011

Half-remembered

For the past couple of weeks I've had lots of stories and rhymes from my childhood pop into my head, but I'm having trouble remembering the complete stories. Things like Are you sleeping? and Where is Thumbkin? are no problem. But there's this book that I used to read, and have my mom read to me, all the time that I can't completely remember and I don't have a copy of it. It's called Hand, hand, fingers, thumb. It is a Dr. Seuss book about monkeys who bang on drums (dum ditti dum ditti dum dum dum) with their thumbs. Its got a great rhythm and fun pictures.


We also had a lot of records when I was a kid. We had things like Tina the Ballerina, Peter Pan, The Care Bears and a lot of read a-longs like The Hobbit and The Empire Strikes Back. One of the records had Tom Thumb on it. Near the end, after Tom makes friends with the local king, he gets in an epic fight with a spider. Tom fought the spider with his sewing needle sword, but alas, although he defeated the spider, he was mortally wounded and died soon after. The best part of the story was the narration of the battle. It went something like this:
'Ug,' said the spider and 'Ah,' said Tom.
'Ug,' said the spider and 'Ah,' said Tom.
'Ug,' said the spider and 'Ah,' said Tom.



I wish I still had these, but they were probably given away to DI (Deseret Industries) a long time ago. Does anyone else remember these stories?

1 comment:

Rachel Ellis said...

I remember Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb! Other favorites as a kid were One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, and Go Dog, Go! I also loved The Penguin That Hated the Cold, but it has been out of print since the 70s. Found an old used copy recently on Amazon and I was so happy!