07 June 2011

Shoes

Does anyone else remember when they could take their laced-up shoes on and off without undoing the laces? I know I did that when I was a child, and it would annoy my mother. I'm not sure when I stopped doing this, but the ability has apparently left me, and I would love to have it back.

One of the most well known traditions in Japan is the taking off of shoes whenever you enter a building. Thankfully, this is not done everywhere - many businesses don't ask you to do this - but it something you do when you visit someone's house or enter a school. There are some places in the hospital where you cannot wear shoes and some places where you can.

My casual, outdoor shoes are a pair of sneakers, with laces. I can still see my feet, but bending over to tie up my shoes is not an easy thing. As most pregnant women will tell you, bending over to get/do anything off the ground becomes a task of epic proportions. Which is why I wish I could still take my shoes on and off without undoing the laces.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just tie them really loose.....I LOVED having loose shoelaces in Illinois. Then I hurt my ankle really bad a few months after we to Texas. Now I have to have them tied up right for good support.

Anonymous said...

Hello Stephanie, I lived in slip on shoes all the time when I got to that point in pregnancy. If weather allows flip flops are great around the house. Best of luck and we miss you around here!
gina